FIRST LUTHERAN CHURCH – This Week‘s Events (July 30 – August 5, 2018)
Next Sunday: 8:45 a.m. German Service
10:00 a.m. English Worship/Holy Communion
JESUS, LORD OF THE SUMMER, opens His heart and mouth wide today to speak every promise you need. God open your heart and ears to hear and treasure them! Visitors, we’re glad you have joined us! Speak to one of the ushers if you need help with anything while you are here. Sign our guestbook in the vestibule after worship, and come again when you can!
ATTENDANCE LAST SUNDAY (July 22): German Service, 32; English Service, 53; TOTAL, 85.
TODAY’S USHERS: Mike Gagnier, Rich Garton, Gerry Skillings
NEXT SUNDAY’S USHERS: Chris Anderson, Russ Anderson, Ben Eberhard, Javed Khan
CHURCH OFFICE CLOSURES THIS WEEK: Our church office will only be open this week, Tuesday to Friday (July 31 to August 3), from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
CANADIAN BLOOD SERVICES has advised us that the need for blood donors is acute during the summer season. Their donor clinic is open Monday-Saturday at 3909 Grand Marais Road East, Windsor. A flyer detailing hours of operation is on the bulletin board in the hallway outside the pastor’s office door. This is a valuable service you can provide for our community if you feel moved to do it; the supply is such that most donations are used within just a few days’ time.
WE’VE RECEIVED A TRANSFER of membership for Mrs. Renate Dulmage from St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Cobourg, Ontario. She is already a regular worshiper at our 8:45 a.m. Service together with family members. God make us an encouragement to her, just as her presence is an encouragement to us!
YOU LIKELY DIDN’T NOTICE, but our congregation just turned 98! On July 21, 1920, our church family was formally organized in the living room of a house at 776 Windsor Avenue. Preliminary plans are already in the works for our 100th Anniversary, set for the weekend of July 17-19, 2020. Mark that date on your advance calendar and plan on being with us!
SUMMER NEEDS CAN SHAPE YOUR PRAYERS if you have the heart and take the time to let them:
– Thank God for the joys of a “break” from regular work and commitments;
– Ask Him to protect people from our church family who are traveling extensively in these days;
– Remember farmers and others in Ontario who have struggled this summer from lack of rain; as well as people in northern Ontario and British Columbia threatened by forest fires;
– Implore the Lord to work in the minds and hearts of parents considering sending their children this September to our First Lutheran Christian Academy, and to bless teachers and leaders there already preparing themselves for classes in the fall;
– Beg the Lord’s help for members of our church family struggling now with serious health concerns or loss of a loved one; ask Him to call back those who have drifted from Christ’s word and worship … and even to give you words to invite and encourage them as God opens the door.
LUTHERAN HOUR: “It’s Not a Cruise Ship” (Mark 6: 45-56) – The church is not some cruise ship sailing aimlessly about in this life and merely entertaining those on board; but, rather, it is the ark, the only boat whereby, as we traverse this stormy sea of life, we are being brought safely to the other side, to eternity. Listen to today’s Guest Speaker Rev. Timothy Teuscher (Lutheran Church-Canada President) on Sunday mornings at 1130AM at 6:30 a.m., 1600AM at 9:00 a.m., or 560AM at noon. Streaming audio and pod-casts at www.lutheranhour.ca.