FIRST LUTHERAN CHURCH – This Week‘s Events (August 6 – 12, 2018)
Next Sunday: 8:45 a.m. German Worship/Holy Communion
10:00 a.m. English Worship
(Rev. Charles Schulz preaching in both services)
GOD’S MERCIES ARE NEW EVERY DAY, and Christ comes today in His Word to help you see and believe it! If you’re from outside our church family, please know we are glad you’ve come. Speak to one of the ushers if you need help with anything while you are here, and sign the guestbook in the vestibule before you leave. Come see us again when you can!
ATTENDANCE LAST SUNDAY (July 29): German Service, 30; English Service, 87; TOTAL, 117.
TODAY’S USHERS: Chris Anderson, Russ Anderson, Ben Eberhard, Javed Khan
NEXT SUNDAY’S USHERS: Evan Johnson, James Krestick, Francisco Moro, Jordan Sands
CANADIAN BLOOD SERVICES has advised us that the need for blood donors is acute during the summer season. Their donor clinic is open Monday-Saturday at 3909 Grand Marais Road East, Windsor. A flyer detailing hours of operation is on the bulletin board in the hallway outside the pastor’s office door. This is a valuable service you can provide for our community if you feel moved to do it; the supply is such that most donations are used within just a few days’ time.
ALTAR FLOWERS THIS MORNING are from yesterday’s wedding of Karel and Ashley Zouzal. We’re grateful for their kindness in gracing the Lord’s table today.
THE SERVICE OF HOLY MARRIAGE for Andrew (A.J.) Hetzel and Brooklyn Chenery takes place here next Saturday, August 11. Today we name them in our prayers to the Lord, that He will bless both their wedding and the vows of faithfulness they speak to each other and before Him. Since our pastor is away next weekend, he has asked his long-time friend and “son” of our congregation, Pastor Jack P. Hetzel of Oshawa, to officiate at this service … he also happens to be the groom’s uncle!
PASTOR BUGBEE IS ABSENT on personal holidays August 7-16 … involving just one Sunday away a week from today. If an emergency arises during those days, once again we’re grateful to Pastor Glenn Stresman for being “on call” (he can be reached by calling the church office at 519-256-2667). Pastor Charles Schulz of Ann Arbor, Michigan, will conduct both services next Sunday.
CHURCH OFFICE CLOSURES THIS WEEK: Our church office will only be open this week, Wednesday to Friday (August 8 to 10), from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
SAVE THE DATE! The weekend of July 17-19, 2020, has tentatively been set for the “100th Anniversary Festival,” marking a century since our church was formally organized in the living room of a private home at 776 Windsor Avenue. Broad outlines of plans for the celebration are emerging, and there’s a lot of “filling in” to be done … but, for now, please set the date aside and don’t make plans to be anywhere but here with us!
SUMMER NEEDS CAN SHAPE YOUR PRAYERS if you have the heart and take the time to let them:
– Thank God for the joys of a “break” from regular work and commitments;
– Ask Him to protect people from our church family who are traveling extensively in these days;
– Remember farmers and others in Ontario who have struggled this summer from lack of rain; as well as people in northern Ontario and British Columbia threatened by forest fires;
– Implore the Lord to work in the minds and hearts of parents considering sending their children this September to our First Lutheran Christian Academy, and to bless teachers and leaders there already preparing themselves for classes in the fall;
– Beg the Lord’s help for members of our church family struggling now with serious health concerns or loss of a loved one; ask Him to call back those who have drifted from Christ’s word and worship … and even to give you words to invite and encourage them as God opens the door.
LUTHERAN HOUR: “And the Pursuit of Happiness” (Exodus 16: 2-15; John 6: 22-35) – When the main goal in life is your happiness, you’ve turned in on yourself and away from others, especially God. Turn from yourself to Jesus and you’ll know a peace that surpasses all understanding, and that is the basis for true lasting happiness. Listen to today’s Speaker Rev. Dr. Dale A. Meyer on Sunday mornings at 1130AM at 6:30 a.m., 1600AM at 9:00 a.m., or 560AM at noon. Streaming audio and pod-casts at www.lutheranhour.ca.